Some interesting numbers in the AP article about Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan (PCIP) quietly being shut down:
"PCIP has served more than 135,000 people ..."the administration said the program has spent about $2.4 billion in taxpayer money on medical claims and nearly $180 million on administrative costs"
The numbers that really jumped out to me were the 135,000 people and $180 million on administrative fees, as I make my living on administrative fees. So I did some quick looking around, and found that PCIP programs started rolling out in August through October of 2010. Only 103,160 were covered as of 12/31/12 so 135,000 was the total; not everyone was covered the entire time.
Assuming everyone started in August, that is 29 months, so the numbers don't look as bad. Let's even assume that for all 29 months they covered 135,000 individuals. Their administrative cost averaged $45.98 Per Member Per Month. On small groups I am a happy camper at $25 Per Employee Per Month (which includes dependents). On a PMPM basis I would be elated with $20.
From what I have heard and seen of the program, they didn't even expect you to manage claims, just shuffle the paper. Which explains the $17,777 in average claims. I need to keep a closer eye out for the next RFP they put out: wouldn't take many contracts like this to retire very early.
Selasa, 19 Februari 2013
Langganan:
Posting Komentar (Atom)
Recent Posts
Popular Posts
-
So it appears that women "of a certain age" may well benefit from not one, but two shots of the good stuff: " A glass or two...
-
Given the high stakes ObamneyCare © SCOTUS case , the on-going MLR assault , and the pending PCIP implosion , what better time could there ...
-
Bob recently posted about the act of balance billing by providers . While I would never question Bob’s expertise in the field of insurance, ...
-
Last week, we reported on the unlikely story of an agent facing major problems for selling an annuity to an 83-year-old. Today comes word t...
-
The "PR" in this case being Paul Ryan. We've been pretty rough on the AMA (whose membership, IB readers may recall, " rep...
-
Five years ago, we participated in the "Project 2,996" campaign to remember and honor those killed in 9/11. Today, on the 10th ann...
-
For those in the path of Hurricane/TS Sandy (and/or for those who may face other severe weather conditions) the Insurance Information Instit...
-
From the "I told you so" files: Back in January , we observed that, even though the ObamaTax had heavy union backing, there was so...
-
To present your beloved with what he or she really wants on Valentine's Day: Nothing Says “I Love You” Like Life Insurance Valentine’s ...
-
HHS Secretary Shecantbeserious may be relaxing some privacy rules: " The Department of Health and Human Services says patients should h...
0 komentar:
Posting Komentar