There have been a lot of discussions this past week or two on the potential of ID theft in the exchanges. While people getting their ID stolen is bad, as a business owner my bigger fear would be losing my business because the exchanges allowed someone's ID to get stolen.
When I trade protected info with other firms we have Business Associate Agreements (BAA) and other written contracts that protect me if they fail to protect the data I provide them. If they screw up I would still get sued, which is just as bad or worse than actually losing, but hopefully would have some recourse. Cover my cost and any damages if it is proven to be their fault.
When CMS, IRS, or others require by law I send them data they sign no such agreement. Nor for the most part are they liable or susceptible to individual lawsuits from citizens.
Assume you're an employer who purchases your company health plan through the exchange. In doing so you provide them SSNs, health details, and other PHI. That info becomes compromised and ends up in the public and the hands of criminals. Who do you think gets sued? How much assistance would you expect from Washington in proving it was in fact them that exposed the data and thus your not responsible? How much in Attorney fees to prove it wasn't you and will you ever see that money back?
Selasa, 23 Juli 2013
Langganan:
Posting Komentar (Atom)
Recent Posts
Popular Posts
-
Bob recently posted about the act of balance billing by providers . While I would never question Bob’s expertise in the field of insurance, ...
-
So it appears that women "of a certain age" may well benefit from not one, but two shots of the good stuff: " A glass or two...
-
The "PR" in this case being Paul Ryan. We've been pretty rough on the AMA (whose membership, IB readers may recall, " rep...
-
Given the high stakes ObamneyCare © SCOTUS case , the on-going MLR assault , and the pending PCIP implosion , what better time could there ...
-
Last week, we reported on the unlikely story of an agent facing major problems for selling an annuity to an 83-year-old. Today comes word t...
-
Five years ago, we participated in the "Project 2,996" campaign to remember and honor those killed in 9/11. Today, on the 10th ann...
-
For those in the path of Hurricane/TS Sandy (and/or for those who may face other severe weather conditions) the Insurance Information Instit...
-
From the "I told you so" files: Back in January , we observed that, even though the ObamaTax had heavy union backing, there was so...
-
I love it when the government supports my theory. The theory in this case is that we will go metric before we go ICD -10. Towards that...
-
It amazes me how often I see comments like this from Jodi Kantor of the NY Times: " By summer 2009, with the country still stunned by e...
0 komentar:
Posting Komentar